Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Smart Squirrels + Fat Hawk = D'oh!


It’s been a long couple of weeks pairing down Musket’s weight to get her hunting ready again. She still has another 50g to lose, but with the overnight temperatures dipping down to 22 degrees for the next two nights, she should be huntable by this weekend (fingers crossed).

Despite her higher than ideal hunt weight, I could not pass up the opportunity of 5 squirrels casually raiding my bird feeders yesterday morning. She had fed the day before on the creance with a slow response, but I still wanted to try… temptation is a dangerous mistress! Carefully and sneakily, I whisked the rabbits away. Hazen kept a watchful eye on the squirrels as I cautiously removed Musket from her mew. They must have heard the hawk because as soon as I came out of the mew door, I heard a scuffle in the back yard. I knew the jig was up, and when I got back to the house, Hazen told me that they were all riled up, nervously swishing their tails and on high alert in the trees. I waited with Musket inside for about 15 minutes, but the squirrels were slowly starting to retreat. This was the opportunity; I either give up or seize it. So I stepped out on the back porch with the hawk and must have set her off balance in my nervous excitement because instead of taking off for the squirrel that was so obviously running away, she was fussing with her jesses! Argh! The squirrels climbed to the safety of the tall pines and Musket was completely unawares. I thought we had blown it.


Eagle-eyed Hazen however, spotted a squirrel standing stock still on the corn feeder. His fat little body was frozen, knowing that any movement would attract the predator’s eye. Well, I started walking towards the squirrel and Musket finally did see him. She took off and flew high to try to cut the squirrel off, but he ducked behind the tree and she took to a high branch. Unfortunately, this is where her high weight hindered her hunting drive. The squirrel was climbing through the branches and she sat calmly in the tree enjoying the high perch. She wasn’t interested in hunting really. I walked back to the original scene of the hunt, and there was not a squirrel visible anywhere. So, I called her to the lure and ended the hunt.

Another miss, but I can hardly count that as her fault. I knew she was far too high to hunt, but I was hoping that the freedom of being on the wing after a month in the mew would light a spark in her. Nope, it’s all about weight and hunger… that’s the drive, nothing else. It’s amazing when it works though. We’ll get that squirrel soon!

On another note, we visited Merritt Island National Park this weekend. It’s right next to the launch pad for the space shuttle. We had a nice trip, saw lots of fun winter birds, and enjoyed a nice meal at a fancy fish restaurant. Merritt island was an easy place to bird, no exercise required!


1 comment:

Melissa said...

She is a beautiful bird! And you were so calm with the gator. I think i would run away screaming! Anyway, hopefully Musket will get those squirrels soon!