Monday, October 27, 2008

Progress


We have been doing jump-ups all weekend, and she has been very quick to respond. She has figured out again that she needs to get herself back to her perch and she’ll wait until I present the fist to jump to me (well, most of the time).

I am very impressed with her. At this stage and weight in Jan/Feb, she was slow to respond, but now, she’s jumping immediately when I present my fist and blow the whistle. Some of it has to do with my experience; I understood where her aggression was coming from and I knew what to do to curb it. I also think some of it has to do with her experience; she’s less afraid of me and now sees me as a source of food instead of a predator. Yesterday, I had her on her indoor perch most of the day and she only jumped off of it once in 10 hours! At the beginning of the week, she was jumping two or three times every 5 minutes. Amazing!

Now that she has been spending her days with me sitting on a perch instead of flying around in her mews, she is not loosing weight as quickly. I have some meat “washing” in the fridge, which basically means that it is sitting in a bowl of water where it will clean out a lot of the blood. It will make her feel like she’s eaten, but without the weight-gain. I plan on starting the creance flights again this afternoon, as I got her flying to the end of her leash indoors yesterday. But, I won’t feel comfortable cutting her free until I get her weight down another 100 grams or so. With the cold nights (we were down to the mid 40’s last night) it should help her drop some weight quickly though. If all goes as planned, the weekend after next we can start hunting! I already have some good squirrel spots picked out.

No comments: