Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Fed up!

I fed Musket 6 chicken necks yesterday; she was a pig! I have been using another “regular” glove to feed her to protect my hands from her sharp beak (and once her sharp talons when she got over-excited and grabbed the morsel with her foot!). I decided that two gloves were too much for her to deal with so I wanted to use my bare hand to feed her. In the interest of saving my fingers, I thought tweezers would work well.

I tried it last night and she only got to me once with her beak, and not too bad. As the feeding went on, she did finally start to calm down, but not until she had the bulging crop that you can see in the video.

She sat with me quite nicely for the next hour or so, content with her full belly. I hope this works. My biggest problem last season was weight management. I think I have a better handle on it now. At this point she does not have a whole lot of fat on her, so feeding her up for a few days should not put too much weight on her. It should make her feel content, and hopefully more willing to work and less frantic.

I have a couple of silly videos I’m going to add here. In watching these, I detect a bit of a southern accent. sigh. "Folksy" is charming though, right?? But if you think this is bad, you should hear me when I'm talking to southerners.

Musket's Reflection.

No comments: