Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Days Cooling Down

After the scorcher of a Halloween weekend (87 deg on Saturday), it has cooled a a comfortable 75 and sunny. Hazen even turned off the A/C and opened the windows and doors yesterday! We're slowly settling in for a fun Holiday season.

The first cool weekend though we actually did some necessary outside work and moved the "carport" to another part of the yard. This was going to be our holiday project (over Thanksgiving) but we got it done early. We'll have to come up with something else productive to do on our 4-day weekend at the end of the month.

Hazen has also been subtly bugging me to post a picture of "bird" on the blog. I managed to acquire a few shots of her, but she's a bit twichy (yes the pun is intended) and it is hard to get a good shot. She was a bit scared of the camera and finally settled down into a fluffed out pose trying to look BIG. She's a good size, but still a far cry from Musket, so I was more amused than impressed by her display. The leg is healing nicely. She hardly favors it anymore and seems more feisty, which I attribute to her feeling better. After a few more weeks of R & R, she's going to be caught for her new jewelry and manned so she will be easier to handle and transport when needed. I'm really looking forward to the day I can officially take possession of her and start getting her ready to hunt.

Also, for the record, the birds finally arrived after the second cold-front. For the past week or two, I've been seeing red-tails every time I turn around. I saw a nice speedy-looking smallish red-tail near the airport across the road from work on my way in the other day. He took off in a vertical leap from the ground and landed on a telephone pole, his movement reminded me of the red-shoulders we have in our neighborhood that would pop out of nowhere when I'd fly Musket around the yard. This one was definitely a red-tail and a juvenile to boot.

I was mournful of my decision to wait for the Cooper's hawk after seeing that bird. But, Hazen talked sense into me and reminded me that if she does work out I will have a really fun hawk that will share years of enjoyment. If it turns out that the near-starvation and recovery experience makes a hawk into a better hunting companion... This situation might not EVER present itself again. He reminded me that I can't buy a bird like that and if I let her go and jump on a good male-tail (which in and of itself isn't a sure thing) I might get what I want in an RT and have a decades-long excellent hunting companion - but next year you could reasonably get the same level "male-tail" and I might not ever get a cooper's like her, EVER. ... He made a pretty good point, so I've stuck with my decision. I haven't given up the gerbils just yet though in case she just never heals well and I'll have another chance to catch an RT starting December 1st.

To help ease my eagerness to work with a bird, I have taken up drawing them. I'm going to try my hand at watercolor on some of my sketches. I drew this from a picture of a wet Cooper's hawk that I found in Google, I loved the "look-of-death" so I had to try it. We'll see if it turns out after I fill it in with color.

Original Picture

Drawing





1 comment:

Mari and Jeremy said...

you drew that? That is really good.