Monday, October 5, 2009

Cold Front Update

Well, the cold front did bring some birds, but not the ones I want, unfortunately. Hazen and I have seen an adult ("Haggard" in the falconry world) red-tail almost every day we've gone out. Those birds weren't here last week, so it's an improvement. We've also seen an explosion in Red-Shouldered Hawks. I don't know if we're just getting better at spotting birds, but there sure seems to be a lot out there.


If this wasn't my last apprentice year, I'd be tempted to try a kestrel. I've seen probably a dozen or so birds with consistency. They're pretty darnned cute, but I think you hunt bugs with them or maybe sparrows, I'm not really sure. I am starting to re-think my desire to get a small male, I may just have to settle for whatever I can get. But any hunting partner is better than no hunting partner!

Eventually, I'll have something more interesting to post. My life has pretty much revolved around looking for a bird.


I took of yesterday afternoon and I might take off today too. My boss dug up 6 camelias from his yard. I'm going to see if they'll take in mine so I can get those early blooming flowers.


I took some time to snap some nice pictures of butterflies in our "weed" garden. I'll include some here. Right now it's awash with buzzing life of all kinds. It's great!






Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! I'm really looking forward to squirrel hawking in Texas this year!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for posting them. Makes me want to come, sit, and relax over there!